Ryan loves me. I know this because he just loves to see me -- lights up, smiles, kicks. And I love to see him! But not so much at midnight. And less at 12:07. And 12:19, 12:40, 12:43, and so on. By 2:00 I really didn't want to see him for a while.
Yes, last night sucked. A little background -- Ryan has been a great sleeper. Slept a lot. Napped a lot. And anywhere. Slept through the night, only waking once to eat.
Yesterday and last night were not so sunny on the sleep front. He doesn't really nap on the go very well anymore, and yet doesn't nap in his crib great either. He's been breaking free of the miracle blanket so I bought a large "swaddleme" blanket and tried that. He was awake, talking, from 12-2am. Finally broke down and used the miracle blanket again and got him down - not sure if it was the blanket or exhaustion.
As the mother of a lousy sleeper (Andrew) as a baby, I had really loved Ryan's sleeping and know what it may mean if he's losing that skill.
And here's the rubs -- I'd just wean him from the swaddle (which I may do anyway) except for the fact that he goes DOWN to sleep so beautifully, and I don't want to ruin that.
I'd wean him from the binky (which I re-inserted about 1000 times last night, and Steve did a few times as well) except for the fact that they now say that it reduces the risk of SIDS, which scares me much more than lack of sleep. Little sidebar: That recommendation really irks me because 1) Ryan (and most babies) spit out their binkys when they're asleep. What are we supposed to do, tape it in? And 2) this seems to put the blame on Mommies. If GOD FORBID something were to happen the Mommy would think "If I'd only stayed awake all night making sure that binky was in his mouth . . ." They also recommend that the crib should be in the parent's room and again, I think that is the Drs looking to have someone to blame.
AND, here's the real catcher. He's not crying when he's up (usually). But you mom's out there know if he's up -- I'm up. I'd let him cry it out a bit in a few weeks, but I don't want it to wake Andrew. And then there's the fact that he's not crying. And the whole pacifier thing.
So there you go. Yawn.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment