Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sweet Sleep

Ok, so Ryan has gone 2 nights of 5 hours between feedings. This rocks -- Andrew was many months old before that happened. So I feed him at 10ish, and then again about 3. I guess he's not actually sleeping 5 hours -- Steve says he's up until about 11:15 looking around, and complains if Steve turns out the light. I am blissfully unaware and snoozing away but poor Steve cannot go to bed as early as he'd like.

We did have a bad cry spell last evening -- worst since he was born, but it really was only for 20 minutes or so. I, apparently, have blocked out Andrew's infancy, because Steve says that's what Andrew did DAILY, all evening, and anytime the world was not as he wanted it. No wonder I went a little nuts when Andrew was a baby. I'm glad Ryan seems like a much more mellow kid KNOCK WOOD!!!.

So this shortened sleep comes at a bad time for poor Steve, as he's started his new job at iFranchise and is working full time for the first time in years (out of the house, at least). He's excited by the job but its a stressful period and hurts his sleep as well.

This move to full-time employment is an adjustment to me too. I'll be first to admit I was terribly spoiled by Steve's flexibility and availability during Andrew's early years. I have to learn to do this (with 2) on my own during the day. I have to learn to be a better stay-at-home wife and mom too -- no more shirking home responsibility.

All in all, we just need to find our rhythm for this new and exciting phase of life. That's how its felt, like our rhythm is off. Bath/bedtime was the worst because we had such a routine and the addition of Ryan who both cluster feeds in the evening and also need to be bathed as well (lest my sweet boy smell like spoiled milk). I think we've solved this by doing bath time together in OUR bathroom -- there was just no room in theirs. So Andrew gets to play in the giant tub while we bathe Ryan in the tub on the counter. Worked well the first time, last night he was having his crying fit so it didn't go well, but I have high hopes.

Andrew's at Grandma & Grandpa's for lunch, his new Wednesday ritual that we all love. Well, I'm not sure my folks LOVE it, per se, but they do it and I'm grateful!

Here's all my boys: