Welcome to the Betty Ford Center For the Treatment of the Swaddle Addicted.
We're in swaddle detox here, and it is hell. My formerly lovely sleeper, who was always put down awake, now requires Mommy to hold him until he is fast asleep. Ugh.
Here's the story. I'm a big fan of swaddling and frankly didn't care how long we did it. I felt that if Ryan could eventually find a wife who would swaddle him every night, more power to him. But that all changed.
First, he was busting out, even from the Miracle Blanket (aka Baby Straightjacket). So I bought a larger "swaddleme" and it kept him better contained, but he would still get an arm through now and then, and get it stuck, and require assistance.
But the other day, after waking up 45 minutes after going down from his nap I tried to sneak in to reinsert the binky to be met with the back of his head. Yep - he flipped over, still completely swaddled. And because his arms were pinned, he couldn't really get his head up. Holy SIDS scare batman. So that was the last time he was swaddled, we have since gone cold turkey.
Ryan was not pleased at this dramatic switch in his life, and has let us know. He is not only mad he isn't wrapped up nice and tight, but his flailing arms knock the &*(&% binky out of his mouth. And before that meant that one of us just popped the binky back in, and that was it. No more. Now he wants me to be the Human Swaddle.
If he were 5 months I'd just let him work it out, but he's just too young now. So I'm caught between a rock and a hard place, trying to get him to go to sleep on his own, like he always did, and trying to have him sleep and respect that he's just a tiny thing and needs help.
Oh, and did I mention Andrew's night terrors? Those are fun. He gets possessed, cries or screams for 20 minutes or so, then yawns, rolls over and is soundly sleeping. He doesn't wake, doesn't recognize that we're there (his eyes are open). You're not supposed to wake them, just let it run its course. Delightful. It happens when he's overtired, and as he's not a consistent napper anymore, that happens. Also happened for days after his last uber-fun grandparent visit where he got to stay up too late, etc.
Someday, yes someday, all 4 of us will sleep for 8 uninterrupted hours. Someday.
Monday, July 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Okay, I had to laugh when I read this. I know it's not funny, but all of us moms have been there with sleep problems (mine were never swaddling) but there's ALWAYS something going on at night here. If one sleeps through the night, then the other is up - ugh! Someday, someday...
Post a Comment